Skip to main content

Call me Jonah

It was a hard fight. I worked through the night, which became morning, which became afternoon, and the next evening, and then the next night, and the next morning. I worked through the rattling of recycling bins from my neighbour’s house, their exploding fireworks and music; through countless cups of coffee so strong I had to take anti-acids; through two pasta meals, ten cups of hot water, a peanut butter-honey-banana sandwich, and a grand total of 8 hours sleep in three days – and as I slept I dreamt of a whale biting me in half. My head and chest swam to the shore but never reached it, because I swam back to get my legs, which sank.

At that point someone called me Jonah (not Ishmael) and I could see lights emerge on continents surrounding the sea – in this dream the continents surround the sea instead of sea surrounding them. I woke up and went back to the computer, made more coffee, started a new chapter, lamented the cheesiness of my fiction but made peace with the fact that I would never be Nabokov, or Hemingway, or E. S. Liew.

Of course this is what happens when one reads too much Freud – one dreams of whales. But the main point is that I made peace with the thesis.

Now it is….
And I am DONE.

Just need to show it to the sups before binding. Maybe minor editing (I hope!).
I had said that only one of us would survive… but his what my subconscious was telling me:
Firstly, the Old Testament really was pounded into me as a child (not that I had a choice) – I am a product of Judeo-Christianity (at least subconsciously) – because Jonah was a man who disobeyed God and his boat was hit by a storm that threatened to drown everyone. So Jonah told the sailors that God was angry and that if he were thrown out everyone else would survive. Jonah was thrown out and swallowed by a whale. Inside the whale Jonah repents… and so the whale spits him out.

Secondly, I didn’t have to fight. I ought to have simply submitted – like a reed bending in the wind (another metaphor).

Thirdly, my dreams are freaking awesome. It is so quiet now I can hear the air in this room.
Call me Jonah.

According to these guys - click - I was drunk this week.

Popular posts from this blog

First Pages Prize official longlist.

My novel, The Gatherer, made the longlist for the First Pages Prize:  www.firstpagesprize.com/longlist-2021 You can find the shortlist here: www.firstpagesprize.com/shortlist-2021

MWG "Lockdown" Anthology Available at Booktopia

If you are doing some boxing day shopping and want something to remember this departing year by, here is "Lockdown", an anthology. My poem is called, "Susan". Because this is not the e-book, I am not sure if they have corrected the missing word in stanza one, line three. Or maybe just read it that way and think that it was omitted deliberately. Updates on the e-book to follow soon. https://www.booktopia.com.au/lockdown-melbourne-writers-group/book/9780645049503.html Description (copied from booktopia): A collection of 25 short stories and poems by 18 Victorian writers in a range of styles and subjects created during and responding to the statewide lockdown in the middle of 2020. They explore how relationships were maintained or frayed, loss of identity, and the stress of daily life in lockdown. Some enter the realm of fantasy, hyper-reality or magic realism, while others depict the experience with a more journalistic detachment.  

The Book Depository is Closing

  Sadly, the Book Depository is closing forever. I'm fortunate that I have had an opportunity to be part of an anthology that was sold through their site. I have bought so many books from them over the years, that it's like my house is made of paper.   Last chance to buy a copy of Lockdown: Melbourne Writer's Group and Friends Respond to Isolation in 2020 .